Wednesday, April 16, 2008

Pope Benedict XVI in America

Just a quick post today. The Pope has begun his visit in America, the first of his papacy. I've included two consecutive videos, the first being Bush welcoming the Pope, the second being the Pope. I had also found a transcript of the Pope's speech. I recommend following along on the transcript as you listen since the Holy Father has a thick German accent ;)

Bush:



The Pope (couldn't embed this one, sorry!)

http://wcbstv.com/video/?id=111364@wcbs.dayport.com

And the transcript:

http://wcbstv.com/papalvisit/pope.benedict.speech.2.701076.html

God bless!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

What effects do you think the Pope's visit to the US will have on the Roman Catholic Church, especially with respect to liberalism and nominalism (that i perceive there to be) in catholicism today?

What about catholic/protestant relations?

One major facet (at least according to the media) of his visit regards the scandals . . . do you have any thoughts on this.

I'm mostly interested in your opinions on the first question, but am mildly interested in the others.

-David

Todd said...

Thanks for the comments David. Sorry it has taken me so long to respond.

I am hoping very much so that the Pope's visit a couple weeks ago will help squelch some of the liberalism and nominalism in the Church. Your perceptions about it being alive and well are very accurate. However, sadly, I think its going to take more than just a Papal visit to solve these problems. But, in the end, I have faith that things will be worked out...things just might get worse before they get better...

As for Catholic/Protestant relations, I think I remember reading that the Pope met with a variety of different prominent Protestant leaders. I am pretty hopeful that Christian unity will continue to strengthen...Christianity in general is under attack in this world, so we don't need to be going after each other as well.

The scandals are certainly a dark time for the Church. I really applaud the Pope for his actions regarding this. He was very up front about it. I was most impressed that he met privately with a couple of the victims. I think his visit did a great deal in helping with the healing.